If you’re looking for the perfect holiday city that includes great food, weather, shopping and beach life, look no further than Busan. Located in the south, it is surrounded by mountains and the ocean… what more can you ask for?
Things to see and do:
- Haeundae Beach
- The Bay 101 (a great place to relax with a coffee or beer and watch the sunset)
- Gwangandaegyo Bridge/ Diamond Bridge
- Dongbaekseom Island (for a walk and an excellent view)
- Shinsegae Centum City Department Store (To check out the fashion and food)
- Dongrae Market (Excellent street food)
- Gukje Market- (You can buy anything here)
- Jagalchi Market- (Seafood market)
- Busan Tower (For a great view)
- Karaoke (You are in Korea after all!)
Food and drink to try:
- Hodduck (sweet cake with seeds)
- Goroke (Fish cake with fish eggs)
- Castella (A delicious sponge cake)
- Bingsu (frozen milk flakes in a variety of flavours- Sulbing Seomyeon is the place to go)
- Soju (an alcoholic beverage that you drink neat)
- Kimchi (Spicy cabbage)
- Gimbap (like sushi, but not)
- Bipimbap (Rice, mixed vegetables and sometimes meat- stir like crazy and add some spice)
Busan is a great place to try some amazing street food and partake in some hilarious Karaoke after visiting the beautiful beaches of course. Luckily I had a friend YM (who is from the city) to show me around.
YM and I met in the States on a previous adventure and stayed friends despite the distance and I was fortunate to stay with her and her family in their gorgeous home with a spectacular view of the city.
Highlight: Korea has a big sharing culture when it comes to food and it is so awesome to share and participate in this group activity as it allows you to experience the real Korean culture. You also get to try so many different types of dishes by sharing. Another marvel of this culture is how many small side dishes accompany the main meals. You will never go hungry in Korea and the food is delicious.